Sunday, April 3, 2011

Meeting v/s Exceeding

 1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.
 If you know us at all, then you're aware of our financial situation over the last 4 years. 
Just when something starts to look good and promising, another let down. 

I've heard all of my favorite people talk to me about tithing and saving, but let me just say that there was NO WAY to do either when we were putting groceries on a credit card. Groceries. Where on earth would I have found the extra cash to tithe and save?

We put whatever is in our wallets in the plate. 
We put all of our loose change in the kids' piggy banks. 
Son's piggy bank that belonged to my older brother. A prized possession to my 3yo for sure.

We pray about our situation. 

He hadn't let us go hungry or homeless, but we were certainly going into debt. Fast.

Another "Ah HA" moment here. 

Recently a girl told me that has a fantastic man in her life. He is dedicated to managing his finances the way that God sees fit. They both work, and make their own money. They both have bills to pay. They both have things that they like to purchase and needs that the want to fill. 
As they sat down to plan their wedding they began to discuss the budget. 
She was willing to scrap, cut back, and save in ANY area but the photographer. 
When her fiance' gave her the budget her spirit was crushed. "Might as well just have a family member take the pictures if that is all we can spend."

I know first hand what a less than qualified wedding photographer will get you. Our guy kept asking who "Brad" was when people would say.."oh take a pic of Brad doing that". He took his photos with his thumb plugging his beer. (oh yes he only rolls high class) It gets you a wedding disc that says "Courtney and Chris". Chris?? Really? It gets you pictures with photo- shopped "bling" coming off of my already super fabulous ring that is not in any need whatsoever of added bling. 

Anyway it is in situations like this where you can't seem to make your own way, that you can give God not only the opportunity to meet your needs, but to exceed them. 

I have began completely laying our situation at the foot of the cross and walking away free,
This is our garage door. I just love this cross.
but the life application for tithing and saving in a trusting and fearless way just hadn't sunken in. I HAVE to feed, roof, clothe, my kids.

So I started reading. Every day this week. And, in another leap of faith I made a place to store my tithe and savings from penny that comes into this house. (We were tithing to our church in SC but haven't found a church home yet. Saving our tithe to decide on a place to give. promise I'm not spending it.) 

Did you catch this at the top?

1 Corinthians 16:2
On the first day of every week each one of you is to put aside and save, as he may prosper, so that no collections be made when I come.
So, yesterday I sat down to figure out how in the world we were going to pay for this little trip to Charlotte with our great friends. I had been working a lot, but every time the money comes in, it goes directly to something we need to pay for and leaves me unable to save anything at all. Tithe or otherwise. 
I took out my tithe and stored it. I rolled all of the change I had been collecting outside of what we give to the kids. 2 checks I had really needed to arrive came in the door with my husband and as I sat, it all started coming together. 
I needed.... $122.00

Can you see the total? $122 FLAT!

Right on target, WITH my tithe tucked carefully away. 

This week has been one of major growth and learning for me. 
As I continue to read and learn, I will continue to share his lessons for me. 

Right now, it seems as though he is simply telling me to have faith. 
Oh.....and the bride to be.....got the exact wedding photog and package of her dreams for $30 UNDER her fiance's budget. 

Happy Beautiful Sunny Sunday

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment