Saturday, March 5, 2011

Classic Boutique Bow - FIRST EVER VIDEO!!

Classic Boutique Bow

Okay so this is a step by step process, but most of the steps happen kid of quickly. I'll admit that at first I really fumbled with my finger placement and just holding the ribbon in general, but once you get the hang of it and find a way that works for you, these adorable little bows will fill up your bow board so fast!
Let me just add this information in before you head out for supplies. I paid $14 for my glue gun 8 years ago and it still works perfect. It's not pretty anymore, but it works great. Don't over spend. For bows you'll want a gun that takes small sticks, and has a fine point.

Ribbon is expensive. Shopping for deals is great, but if you aren't planning to make an entire outfit, or sell your bows you don't need an entire roll. Finding your standard length will save you a TON of money on bows. 20.5 inches will cost you less than a dollar, but I usually buy a yard to allow for mis-cuts etc. Hobby Lobby frequently sells their "by the yard" ribbon for 50% off. Learn their sale cycle and only buy ribbon when it is most cost effective for you!

What you'll need:
Ribbon (I used 1&1/2 inch Grosgrain)
Scissors, Needle, Thread
Hot Glue Gun
Alligator Clip (Sally's Beauty Supply sells them for a few dollars in bulk)

Now to the FIRST EVER VIDEO TUTORIAL! Forgive my voice. We've been down with a bug lately, but I'm up for crafting so here we are. If I move to fast you can watch it over again, but I will also type out the steps at the bottom of the post.



Step 1: Cut your ribbon into 2 lengths. (I used a 20.5 inch strip and about a 6 inch strip)

Step 2: Make a keyhole with your longer strip of ribbon.

Step 3: Bring the center top of the loop down to behind the X and hold in place while bringing up the two tail ends behind.

Step 4: Stitch 3 WIDE stitches just up the center to make 2 folds in the center of the bow. Pinch the folds and wrap the thread around 2 or 3 times. Tie thread off by looping it through the portion going around the ribbon.

Step 5: Take your 6 inch piece of ribbon and fold it in half length wise. Tie a knot in the center.

Step 6: Place a bead of glue on the bow in the center on the face side and place the knot there. Bring the tails around to the back.

Step 7: Place bead of glue o the thread in the center of the back of bow. Carefully place OPEN alligator clip and cover it with one of the tails of the knotted piece. Place another bead of glue and bring in the last tail to cover.

Step 8: Cut off end and use No Fray Spray or an open flame to protect the open edge of the ribbon.

Now find your cute little girl and accessorize!

Hope you found this helpful! If so let me know!

Courtney

No comments:

Post a Comment